- RT @HistoryInPics: Bob Dylan's original lyrics for The Times They Are a-Changin', 1963 http://t.co/5sGw9NmXGg 32 minutes ago
- RT @DrStephenPenn: @WhisperingBob Joan Armatrading - Love & Affection - The Old Grey Whistle Test 1976 m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z6QpV… thanks fo… 10 hours ago
- My @ST_Culture world music artist of the week: Melingo youtube.com/watch?v=mP4AjZ… http://t.co/xRtFVaLEgV 15 hours ago
- RT @PeterCulshaw: Super new global version of Clandestino feat @manuchao for @playing4change youtube.com/watch?v=Wm0hI0… story of song here htt… 17 hours ago
- Took me a while to work this one out... RT @Brilliant_Ads Wonderbra http://t.co/Ihw5RcPzYZ 17 hours ago
- RT @SamMunnery: Brilliant. RT @OrientMeatPie: My brother got this through his door. Chelsea #massive http://t.co/qWPlt96Mxt 19 hours ago
- The Resurrection, Cookham. Via @SpencerCookham http://t.co/GGVrMRLRY0 21 hours ago
- @bombaylychee Tempting. Just hope they weren't playing the usual industrial noise over the PA! 21 hours ago
- MT @AdrianLester: Front page of a comic I found on display @SchomburgCenter in Harlem. http://t.co/sjn3bXBJRM via @colinsalmon24 22 hours ago
Monthly Archives: May 2012
My review of the biography of Nica Rothschild — the music-loving heiress who inspired many a jazz man — is in today’s Independent.
“It’s a measure of the quality of the wordplay that you can be out of touch with the pop charts and still have enormous fun…” My Times review of Adam Kay’s Smutty Songs show is here (paywall). Trying to find a YouTube … Continue reading
Clive Crooks weighs his prospects. I really do hope he’s wrong: Obama’s big problem, I think, is that he is no longer the president he said he would be. Above all, he’s stopped trying to be that president. The astonishing … Continue reading
Sign at a garden centre in my vicinity.
It’s too much to expect the people who run big Wall Street firms to speak plain English, since so much of their livelihood depends on people believing that what they do cannot be translated into plain English. What John Mack’s … Continue reading
Caetano’s classic song. The day they celebrated the end of slavery in Brazil.
Violence is now ingrained in dancehall music, as it is in gangsta rap, which borrowed much from Jamaican deejay styles of delivery, dubbing and “toasting”. (Dr Dre’s revered 1992 album, The Chronic, teems with Jamaican influences, even Jamaican voices.) … Jamaican … Continue reading
My (paywall) reviews today: Kate Dimbleby sings Dory Previn, Bulgaria’s Kottarashky & The Rain Dogs cook up Balkan vamps with a splash of reggae.