The sexual attitudes of Neapolitans never fail to produce new surprises. Today Prince A., now well known to us all and an enthusiastic informant from our first days at the Rivieria di Chiaia, visited us with his sister, whom we met for the first time. The Prince is the absentee landlord of a vast estate in the South, and owns a nearby palace stacked with family portraits and Chinese antiques. He is the head of what is regarded as the second or third noble family of Southern Italy. The Prince is about thirty years of age, and his sister could be twenty-four. Both are remarkably alike in appearance, thin, with extremely pale skin and cold, patrician expressions bordering on severity. The purpose of the visit was to enquire if we could arrange for the sister to enter an army brothel. We explained that there was no such institution in the British Army. “A pity,” the Prince said. Both of them speak excellent English, learned from an English governess.
“Ah well, Luisa,” I suppose if it can’t be, it can’t be.” They thanked us with polite calm, and departed.
- Storm clouds, Oxfordshire by @JRTurnerPhoto flic.kr/p/ercymE #photography 8 hours ago
- RT @WorldofTelly: I was at a student party when Jacob Rees-Mogg arrived and within 5 minutes he managed to drop his monocle into a large tr… 11 hours ago
- RT @WorldofTelly: Ok - I’ll repeat my Jacob Rees-Mogg anecdote. It has the merit of being true. 11 hours ago
- @stigerscurtis Absolutely. He's too modest. 11 hours ago
- Writing three-minute pop songs is a nice box to be in, but then it becomes a coffin... Billy Joel opens up: mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/mag… 14 hours ago
- RT @tiffanyjenkins: David Lister on lazy literary festivals. He has a point - often they are just a list of authors and their new books. ht… 16 hours ago
- Mad but fun... Retro danceband leader Max Raabe channels Britney Spears. He did it last night too. youtube.com/watch?v=reVB-Z… @DeccaRecords 16 hours ago
- RT @bombaylychee: Cars abandoned in Dubai flickr.com/search/?q=car%… RT @lemondefr: Dubaï envahie par des voitures de luxe abandonnées http://t… 16 hours ago
- "Not having been to Eton; I don't know the polite way to say arse-licking." Suzanne Moore on a new book about Boris: m.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/may… 21 hours ago
GoodreadsNo data found