The sexual attitudes of Neapolitans never fail to produce new surprises. Today Prince A., now well known to us all and an enthusiastic informant from our first days at the Rivieria di Chiaia, visited us with his sister, whom we met for the first time. The Prince is the absentee landlord of a vast estate in the South, and owns a nearby palace stacked with family portraits and Chinese antiques. He is the head of what is regarded as the second or third noble family of Southern Italy. The Prince is about thirty years of age, and his sister could be twenty-four. Both are remarkably alike in appearance, thin, with extremely pale skin and cold, patrician expressions bordering on severity. The purpose of the visit was to enquire if we could arrange for the sister to enter an army brothel. We explained that there was no such institution in the British Army. “A pity,” the Prince said. Both of them speak excellent English, learned from an English governess.
“Ah well, Luisa,” I suppose if it can’t be, it can’t be.” They thanked us with polite calm, and departed.
- RT @scharlab: This is why Copacabana Beach is so unique—Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. [PICTURE] https://t.co/rYSmF46cXJ MT @Globe_Pics 58 minutes ago
- RT @WOWUK: Amazing... #sunsetsunday @ThamesPics http://t.co/PkHS3YvUxq 2 hours ago
- @chinamoses Hope you'll be back at Ronnie's soon! 3 hours ago
- My world music CDs of 2013 @Ana_Moura @LeylaMcCalla @kobotown @Bassekou @bellahardy @elizacarthy @carlabruni @MoussuT clivedavis.net/2013/12/08/wor… 3 hours ago
- RT @NegarMortazavi: First snow in #Tehran #Iran Via @aryashahr http://t.co/6jPQwg9amb 3 hours ago
- RT @herdyshepherd1: Wall-to-wall Herdwicks http://t.co/UI4PoV12PZ 3 hours ago
- RT @ThBookWhisperer: Couldn't resist stopping on my evening run to take a photo #SandalCastle #yorkshire http://t.co/BCvQqykHef 3 hours ago
- What's German for Luddite? :-) RT @slowberlin @NeinQuarterly http://t.co/NEUzeK97P5 3 hours ago
- @tessasouter @ukstrumpet You're welcome. I should be thanking you. 4 hours ago