- @chrisdeerin Ray Bradbury started a fire with his felt-tips. (Lovely man, didn't need to apologize for being late.) http://t.co/BGqCkuefrQ 3 hours ago
- Faking it on the Internet: how bots have overtaken humans. theatlantic.com/technology/arc… Via @alexismadrigal @TheAtlanticTECH 3 hours ago
- RT @BooksOnTheBBC: We're campaigning for a regular book slot on #bbc TV because, amazingly, there isn't one. Not one. Zilch. Zero. Please R… 3 hours ago
- RT @LFBarfe: Everyone who follows me just unfollowed me, then followed me again. I found out through howtomakeyouparanoid.com 3 hours ago
- "Written with the flair of a natural storyteller" & thought to be the earliest African-American prison memoir. nyti.ms/1d8yYuU 4 hours ago
- RT @bombaylychee: They always sound angry on the news in North Korea. What's their Book At Bedtime like? 4 hours ago
- RT @TeleMusicNews: The day I heard Johnny Cash play at Folsom Prison. ow.ly/rHOny #music #johnnycash @thejohnnycash 20 hours ago
- Calypsonians @kobotown, No 3 in my #worldmusic CDs of the year: youtube.com/watch?v=ZthZSX… Via @Cumbancha. Full list: clivedavis.net/2013/12/08/wor… 20 hours ago
- RT @LondonJazzFest: Look who scored the No.1 spot for jazz in @ST_Culture's record chart - Ahmad Jamal @AJPrecords bit.ly/100bst h… 20 hours ago
Author Archives: clivedav184z
Towards Cookham Bridge. And then there’s Twitter’s view from The Shard.
There was never any chance that I would be “smitten” by the visual impact of the colleges, the Gothic presence of King’s chapel, the beauty of the Backs. I went on having my hair cut at the same barbers, I … Continue reading
My top ten. Full details in the Sunday Times 100 Best Records of the Year [£] 1 ANA MOURA: Desfado (Decca) 2. LEYLA McCALLA: Vari-Colored Songs (Dixiefrog) 3. KOBO TOWN: Jumbie in the Jukebox (Cumbancha) 4. BASSEKOU KOUYATE & NGONI BA: … Continue reading
My top ten. Full details in today’s Sunday Times [£]. 1. AHMAD JAMAL: Saturday Morning (Jazz Village) 2. RADIO STRING QUARTET VIENNA: Posting Joe – Celebrating Weather Report (ACT) 3. GREGORY PORTER: Liquid Spirit (Blue Note) 4. MULATU ASTATKE … Continue reading
The perfect response to Boris Johnson’s sermon on inequality… Deborah Ross’s IQ test for the super-rich [£].
Chuck Berry, reggaefied.
I also made friendships of a kind with several of the young Japanese guards… They too were bored, only a few years older than me, and had little hope of seeing their families again soon, if ever. I knew they … Continue reading
“O Samba e O Tango”, opening track from the mid-1990s concert tour recording “Fina Estampa Ao Vivo”. PS: I wrote about the experience of hearing these songs for the first time in a Times feature [£] this summer: I’d gone … Continue reading
In the early 1970s Alan became very pessimistic about his financial future. A seemingly endless succession of strikes threatened to paralyse the economy, presenting a challenge to the Government. At first Alan was wholeheartedly on the side of the workers. “I … Continue reading